Sunday 9 June 2013

Ayurveda, whaaaat what?!

I haven't done any yoga in nearly two weeks. I know this because my body has been aching for it. I can be a bit of a nut and sometimes let my neuroses get the better of me. But not when I am pigeon-pose deep in a session. When deeply immersed in practicing yoga, I am a calmer, clearer-minded version of myself and I love that. I also don't think it's any coincidence that ever since I made this pledge to become "greener and leaner" and to tackle my ailments from the inside out that I have indeed reaped the benefits of increased health :)

While diving deep and really try to find my balance, it's also no surprise that this journey of bettering and enhancement has led me to learn about and become more curious about the practice of ayurveda. I read somewhere that ayurveda "is the science and yoga is the practice of the science".  Ayurveda is an ancient system of holistic healthcare that is becoming increasingly popular in the West today. Ayurvedic medicine focuses on all area of health, including diet, lifestyle, exercise, detoxification, sleep, and the mind.

In treatment, both yoga and ayurveda advocate for the regular practice of pranayama and meditation as well as the use of herbs, body purification procedures, food and chanting of mantras for physical and mental health. Ayurveda isn’t a one-size-fits-all philosophy - With us humans being constantly in flux throughout the day: our energy level and our mood, for example, are different first thing in the morning than they are at noon. Ayurveda, then, is a personalized, intuitive health philosophy. According to ayurvedic principles, each of us has a unique constitution governed by our physical and emotional makeup, as well as our lifestyle - the foods we eat, what time we go to sleep.

It is quite a revelation for me to see how yoga and ayurveda are interrelated and I am excited to learn more about it and using it to enhance my health and the health of those I love. In the meantime, BACK to yoga I go.... I am determined to squeeze 4 sessions into this already busy week. If only because this week is looking to be so damn busy.

1 comment:

  1. as i've been reading your posts over the last year or so on FB about your spells with health issues, i've often thought: she needs greater amounts of self care, and i'll bet yoga would be the best cure.
    so, soooo happy you are coming to the "yoga-side" and Ayurveda, Awesome! Food IS medicine.
    Luv ya, K

    ReplyDelete