Tuesday 7 May 2013

I survived my first yoga class in over a year...

Last night I made my first attempt at yoga again. And not only that but it was a totally new type of yoga than I have ever done before. Therapeutic yoga....

Despite the super warm and sunny weather, the class was packed. I ended up having to place my mat behind a freakin' pillar. That's not so cool when you are wanting to see what poses (asanas) the teacher is demonstrating. Apparently the people on either side of me didn't feel the need for me to see the teacher either as they both pretended not to notice that I needed to shift my mat over... Oh well... For some a yoga studio is much the same as being at church. Having said that, I figure if there's ever a place for a yoga practitioner to be rude or uncaring towards another, the studio is NOT it. Karma people.. Karma!

After coming over, introducing himself and shaking my hand hello, I was ready to participate in Sean's class. Sean is this somewhat towering guy who is super friendly, calming and just exudes happiness. Seriously... When he speaks his faces smiles, even though his mouth is shaped in a normal speaking manner. Sean started and ended the class talking about how yoga is intended to bring people joy and help them achieve happiness. And who couldn't use a little happiness only a couple hours after a full Monday back to work.

This particular therapy class was to focus on our sacrums (our tailbones)  which is great as my lower back into my sacroiliac joint has been sore the last while. Sean spoke a lot about our breaths and our base and our butt-cheeks. Was a real treat - I loved the class last night!! Well I loved most of it. Some older dude two people over started to snore in resting pose (savasana). As a self-diagnosed misophonic*, this bothered me ;) But all in all it was wonderful. I was surprised how focused I was at my breath and my mind not having wandered too much during practice, other than a couple of times drifting off to my impending dinner awaiting me at home. Lesson learned - don't practice yoga on an empty belly at dinner time...

While pigeon pose is my favourite, it did tweak some groin issues for me after I got home. It's all good though and nothing  a little heated lavender pillow time couldn't fix.

Stay tuned....


 laying pigeon pose


*Misophonia: People who have misophonia are most commonly annoyed, or even enraged, by such ordinary sounds as other people clipping their nails, brushing teeth, eating, breathing, sniffing, talking, sneezing, yawning, walking, chewing gum, laughing, snoring, whistling or coughing; certain consonants; or repetitive sounds.[7Some are also affected by visual stimuli, such as repetitive foot or body movements, fidgeting or any movement they might observe out of the corner of their eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment